Brought to you by York Properties
Plans unveiled for proposed Raleigh Stadium
18 Seaboard closing soon
Free tasting at Seaboard Wine this Saturday 6/29
Foundation work begins at 3020 Hillsborough
Greg Hatem acquires Boylan-Pearce Building
Layered Croissaintaire to open soon on N. West St.
City of Raleigh installs underground trash cans
Purchase tickets to the Women’s ICC held August 15th and 18th at WakeMed Soccer Park.
To be featured in the Development Beat, contact email@example.com.
Entertainment And Sports Arena Proposed for Raleigh
Steve Malik, friend of the media empire and the owner of the North Carolina Football Club and North Carolina Courage, will announce plans for a 20,000-seat soccer stadium and entertainment complex in downtown Raleigh today. Malik is developing the project alongside John Kane, of Kane Realty Corporation.
Details for the project popped up last night on a website called visitdowntownsouth.com.
“The proposed Downtown Raleigh Entertainment District sits on approximately 55 acres at downtown Raleigh’s southern edge at the intersection of South Saunders Street and Interstate 40. The development includes a multi-purpose, 20,000-seat open-air Downtown Sports & Entertainment Stadium surrounded by more than $1.9 billion in private development of street-level retail, office space, and housing.
The stadium will become the home of the North Carolina Football Club, including its men’s pro soccer team, North Carolina FC, and its women’s pro soccer team, North Carolina Courage, and accommodate a variety of marquee events, including concerts, festivals, graduations, trade shows, and championship-level sporting events.”
More details from the website:
1.6 million square feet of office space
125,000 square feet of retail and service space (stores, bars, and restaurants)
1,200 hotel rooms
1,750 residential units
Ample green space and public areas
Connectivity to Triangle Greenways, Dix Park, and State Farmers Market
The website says that they plan to hold 75 major events annually, along with 100s of smaller events (conferences, trade shows, job fairs, watch parties, etc.). The Design and Development phase will continue this year and the project hopes to break ground in early 2020, with the stadium and first phase complete by 2023.
A few on Twitter wondered if “Downtown South” was the official name of the project. WNFIV suggested naming it BONNERDOME, to which Bonner Gaylord, Broughton graduate and Managing Director of Operations for Kane, replied something about foreign languages.
We can’t say for sure, but we are certain that this venue is based on the design of Broughton High School’s stadium.
Malik had previously said that being located near Broughton’s historic soccer program is the “primary factor” in every decision he makes.
Malik reiterated those statements during our exclusive interview at the media event on Tuesday morning.
18 Seaboard Closing Soon
One of the longest-standing restaurants at Seaboard Station, 18 Seaboard, will be closing up for good on July 2.
The owner, Jason Smith, who opened 18 Seaboard in 2006, told the N&O that while he had no plans to reopen the restaurant in another location, he wasn’t ruling it out either. Smith’s “18 Restaurant Group” also owns Durham’s Harvest 18 and Cantina 18 locations in Cameron Village and Morrisville. 18 Seaboard will be missed.
Free Tasting at Seaboard Wine 6/29
Our friends at Seaboard Wine will hold a free tasting this Saturday (6/29) from 1pm – 4pm. Andoni Uroz will be pouring a delicious, value driven selection of wines from Portugal and Spain, all discounted 25% off by the case mix & match!
All wine sampled at the tasting bar is discounted 10% off by the bottle and 15% off by the 1/2 case mix or match for you to take home and enjoy. Make Seaboard a part of your Saturday routine!
Work Begins At Former Home Of East Village
Just three months after the iconic East Village Bar was torn down, permits have been issued for work on the foundation of the apartment complex set to take its place.
The creatively named “3020 Hillsborough” will be a 3-story apartment project, designed by J Davis Architects. It will house 142 residential units as well as ground floor retail, which will include a new home for East Village.
The 246,350 square-foot building will also boast a number of amenities, including a pool and adjoining clubhouse, a “cyber lounge,” and 147 parking spaces with a separate bicycle storage area.
The project is being developed across a total of nine existing parcels, which, in addition to East Village, housed College Beverage, Curious Goods, DIGITZ, and Triangle Motorsports.
Empire State Of Mind
Greg Hatem, one of the earliest investors in the revitalization of downtown Raleigh, has now acquired one of the City’s most iconic structures: the Boylan-Pearce building at 216 Fayetteville Street.
Hatem, whose Empire Properties owns dozens of properties throughout the City, acquired the building from Dean Debnam, the man behind the infamous DrunkTown political ad, which was widely considered one of the lowest points in North Carolina politics.
Although Hatem has yet to announce his plans for the property, a rezoning case filed earlier this year would allow for a development of up to 40 stories to be built on the property, as long as its historic facade is maintained.
County records indicate that the “package sale price” for the property was $2.05 million, but the Triangle Business Journal is reporting that Hatem actually paid around $3.4 million. Given that the county records often neglect to tell the full story of a sale, we’re inclined to go with the TBJ’s figure.
New Bakery On N. West Street
Just over a year after it was first announced, the Layered Croissanterie bakery has set an opening date for its location at the Rainbow Upholstery Building at 911 N. West Street: June 30.
Developed by husband-and-wife team Mark and Kawsar Chavez, the bakery describes itself as one that will be “meticulously crafting pastries with a modern twist.”
Hopefully that twist is chocolate.
One Bar’s Trash Is The City’s Treasure
Raleigh is finally taking out the trash. The City recently began installing high-capacity trash containers UNDERGROUND in downtown Raleigh. Finally, we’ll no longer have to walk by a row of 20 foul-smelling trash cans full of empty bottles of Bud Light and Fireball.
According to a press release, “The pilot project includes six new high-capacity containers from Molok North America to collect trash, mixed recycling, and cardboard.” These high-capacity containers will hold 95 gallons; the equivalent of about 20 of the existing trash carts.
Part of Wilmington Street near the intersection with Hargett in downtown Raleigh was closed off last week to allow for the initial installation of the country’s first underground garbage cans.
Nicole Stewart, our favorite City Councilor, took to Twitter to apologize for the traffic delays, even though none of this was her fault and people complaining about traffic should try waking up three hours early and walking to work.
The City believes that by doing away with the unseemly and unpopular trash carts, they will improve both the sights and smells of downtown Raleigh. We completely agree.
Welcome to a new section where we just embed posts from other people. It’s called outsourcing and it’s brilliant. We got the idea from WRAL, who recently used William Needham Finley’s coverage of the Lilly’s pizza car crash in their news article. The full story is recapped in the Instagram post below (be sure to swipe through to see a special video of Stacy Miller):
Progress on the expansion at Trophy on Morgan Street – read more
Progress at Gateway Plaza – read more
Updates on The Wade – read more
Standard Food To Become Standard Beer